Sunday, January 3, 2010

Structured Writing

Loving today

We study the past, the present and the future. We analyze it, we research about it and we interpret it - simply for the purpose of improving the quality of human life. However, each of us are different of opinion when it comes to "living the moment." Some of us would give anything to be in the past, while others drool at the prospects of the future, seduced by the famous saying - " the future is in our hands." Personally, I believe that yesterday, today and tomorrow have their attracting factors. Nevertheless, the present time, the moment that I am living in now, is the one and only time that I believe is worth living for - for it is only today that I have the opportunity to appreciate my family, to determine my future and to achieve my dreams while I am able to.

The present offers what would probably be absent in the future - my family. My family plays the backbone of my life for without them, I would have crumbled and ceased to exist in this world. Spending my 18 years with them has taught me about certain values of life which cannot be picked out from physical materials. The amount of support, love and time that they have given me has developed a feeling of appreciation and love that can never be replaced. Hence, being able to love them, to cherish them and to care for them is something I would never give up. The present allows me to do so, because as time goes by, things will always change and I may lose them. Being there for them now is never too late.

Perhaps the other reason why I love the time I am living in now is that I am able to make changes and in a way, prepare for the future. Although I am aware that the future is mysterious and things may not go as planned, I personally believe that a little hard work today to shape my tomorrow would not hurt. Unlike the past, where everything is fixed and has happened, the present time allows me to make appropriate changes where needed. I am able to prepare and plan while being aware of the consequences because I live in today's time and have a basic understanding of the modern world today.

Lastly, the present time is when I am living healthily and, in some ways, luxuriously and able to devote my full attention to my academic needs - the road in pursuit of my dreams. The prime age of 18 to 19 is, as I sometimes categorise it as - not too old, not too young. I am able to chase my dreams, being too old to be controlled by my family, and being too young to be given absolute freedom of living without family protection. Devoid of the responsibility of earning money and supporting myself, I can my full concentration in my studies, which is one of the most important aspects to survive today's competitive world.

Therefore, as proven by the points above, for me, the present time is the best moment to live in. Living with my beloved family, shaping my future and having the opportunity to pursue my dreams while I am young and able to, has developed my love for today. If ever given a choice between a time machine and a clock, I would chose the latter any day, for with it, I can learn to appreciate every second and minute that passes by as I live and savour the moment.

The Thesis Statement: Creating Unity

3. Yes

4. No
Explanation: no reasons given

5. Yes

6. No
Explanation: no facts or reasons given.

7. No
Explanation: Does not give an overall idea; more like an argument than a heading.

Topic Sentences
(based on Thesis Statement No 3 from above)

Body para 1
Future technological advancement and progress will make changes to our world and way of thinking.

Body para 2
The wide-spread use of democracy in our society will be one of the factors guaranteeing a better life than today.

Body para 3
Tomorrow will see a different world and way of thinking, due to development and discoveries in the medical field.

No comments:

Post a Comment